City of Palmdale
Official Web Site
PUBLIC SAFETY & COMMUNITY RELATIONS
Public Safety - Crime Prevention
Frequently Asked Questions
Click a question to view the answer.
Open All Close All
- How do I start a Neighborhood Watch group?
Contact the Crime Prevention Office at 661/267-5170 to find out who your Crime Prevention Officer is and then schedule a meeting. Your Crime Prevention Officer and Community Deputy will come out to your neighborhood to give a Neighborhood Watch orientation.
- How much time does it take to have a Neighborhood Watch group?
It takes very little time and effort to start and maintain an active Neighborhood Watch group with the city. The average block captain spends only 3 to 6 hours per year on Neighborhood Watch related activities.
- I see a Neighborhood Watch sign on my street, how do I check to see if the group is active?
You may call our Public Safety Office at 661/-267-5170 and we will be able to tell you if your group is active simply by providing us with your address. You may also access the information through the following link: http://gis.cityofpalmdale.org/framesetnw.asp
- Our street light is out, how do we get it repaired?
You may call Southern California Edison at 1-800-611-1911.
- Who should I report graffiti too?
- Who do I contact regarding a problem with my neighbors? What if I think it's a Section 8 home?
Contact the Crime Prevention Office at 661/267-5170 if you have ongoing problems with your neighbors or in your neighborhood. The Crime Prevention staff will be happy to work with you or direct you to the correct office, whether that be Code Enforcement, the Section 8 hotline, Parking Enforcement or any other department. If you believe a crime is being committed you should call the Sheriff's department at 661/272-2400.
- We have a vacant home in our neighborhood and I've seen kids hopping the fence, what should I do?
Call the Sheriff's Department immediately at 661/272-2400 to report the crime.
- What time does the City's noise ordinance go into effect?
The noise ordinance is in effect 24 hours a day. If it is a nuisance it may be called into the Sheriff's Station at any time 661/272-2400.
- I'm a business owner and I would like to know what the City can do to assist local businesses discourage crime in our shopping centers and make it more inviting for customers.
Our Business Watch program brings businesses together in a similar fashion to Neighborhood Watch. City and Sheriff's Department representatives are involved in assisting businesses with issues related to crime and safety. For questions or more information regarding the Business Watch program please call 661/267-5170
- Do you offer any trainings for businesses and our staff?
Through our Business Watch program we provide a number of free presentations tailored to the specific type of business. These presentations may be conducted at your place of business or a city facility. For questions or to schedule a presentation please call 661/267-5170.
- Who should attend your landlord training classes?
The landlord training classes are for property owners and managers. You do not need to own or manage property in Palmdale to attend. Owners or managers of multi-family complexes or mobile home parks who intend to participate in the Partners Against Crime Program are required to attend this class.
- How do I register for landlord training classes?
The landlord training class is offered several times a year. You can register to attend the class by calling the Public Safety Office at 661/267-5172 or 661/267-5542.
- What types of safety presentations do you offer and how much do you charge?
We offer presentations throughout the year such as Identify Theft, Child Safety, Emergency Preparedness as well as many others and all are free of charge. These presentations are also offered free of charge to active neighborhood Watch groups. For questions please call the Public Safety department at 661/267-5170.
- I understand the City has an emergency notification system. How can I sign up?
You may sign up by either going to our Web site atwww.cityofpalmdale.org
and clicking on the link located on the bottom left side of the page or you may contact the Public Safety Office at 661/267-5181 and they will be happy to assist you.
En Español/Other Languages: