The City of Palmdale offers a comprehensive pedestrian and bicycle safety program. The main goals of this program are to:
- reduce the rate of fatal and injury collisions
- increase awareness of safe pedestrian, bicycling and driving practices
- increase compliance in seat belt, child safety seat, and bicycle helmet usage
- and reduce the rate of pedestrian and bicycle fatalities and injuries, especially among children.
Pedestrian Safety Program
The Pedestrian Safety program is geared toward elementary school children. More information about this program will be posted as it becomes available.
Bicycle rodeos are offered to community organizations and local schools. The rodeos are hosted by the requesting organization and conducted by the Office of Public Safety. Participants will be tested on eight different skills which include:
- mounting and dismounting
- circling and changing direction
- balancing at slow speed
- maneuvering and weaving
- changing direction quickly by sight
- handling traffic light and stop sign intersections.
A take home bicycle rodeo which can be instructed by parents is also available.